Friday, December 28, 2012

Pot's big win means huge implications for all


On the positive side, for me, of the events on election day 2012, was the broad legalization of Marijuana in the states of Washington and Colorado…
When my home state of Michigan legalized Medicinal Marijuana in 2008, I said then that the Marijuana legalization movement would be the one to "force the issue of states rights" to the forefront of national politics. Thanks to the "Fiscal Cliff" (snicker) and the recent tragedy in Connecticut, the issue has stayed hidden, but simmering, in the background of broader political discussions.
Here in California, where I now live, what happened in Washington and Colorado was discussion number 1 following the elections. Everywhere I went in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving, the legalization of the Marijuana in those 2 states seemed to be at the top of everyone's minds-for, or against…
I, of course, have been for legalization since I first tried the plant just before turning 19. After becoming a weekly recreational user in my early 20's I discovered, by coincidence, a very positive health benefit from it's usage: a 'fix' for the migraines, persistent headaches and related insomnia as a result of a severe childhood head injury I had. I have since had reinforced to me that my medical need for Marijuana is very real, and very necessary. I'll be honest and say I have no real idea of what dosage I should be taking. Through trial and error I've narrowed it down to twice a day of what in California is known as "2nd shelf" strains of Marijuana. Needless to say I have my medical recommendation for Marijuana in California, and I am legal and legit for it's usage, but what happened on election day has a lot farther reaching implications than just it's medicinal value to society…
For me, the first thought after I learned that both states had passed legalization of Marijuana  was "What's the Federal Gov't going to say?". My 2nd thought was "What's the Fed Gov't going to say when Canada comes complaining about its loss of hemp exports to the US because the Hemp industries in Washington and Colorado have nearly replaced Canada's exports to the US (will take at most 2 yrs)?" My 3rd thought, which should have been my 2nd, was "What are Idaho, Nevada, Montana-all the neighboring states, going to say/do?".
As of (this writing), it's looking like the entire West Coast of the US could broadly legalize Marijuana within the next 6-8 years, with at least a 3rd of the states east of the Mississippi joining them-potentially within the same time frame. The social ramifications-as large as they are-pale in comparison to the potential economic and ecologic benefits the legalization of Marijuana will bring to all of those states: Biodegradable plastics-the kind you can use as fertilizer-could become the norm in carry out containers and plastic bags used at grocery stores and fast food places. 
Hemp could replace cotton as the fabric of choice in winter clothing. Ethanol production will increase 100 fold within  6 months; oil as engine lubricant could be replaced by the oil extract of hemp plants for many high performance engines. 
The productivity and efficiency of our Agricultural sector will increase by at least 30%, with year round crop productivity and increases in product yields.
On the public side of the economic equation is the policing, judicial and corrections systems.
Over the last 20 years, a rough average of 750,000 people a year are arrested for misdemeanor possessions of Marijuana nationwide. On average, it costs police departments $4500-5500 just to arrest someone. Include booking that person into the county or city jail, and the cost jumps to as much as $7500-10k. Equating how much it costs jails and the courts is nearly incalculable, but lets say that Marijuana arrests account for 10% of all misdemeanor crimes in the country, the savings nationwide will be in the $B's...
These are a but a few of the many effects Marijuana's broad legalization will have on America economics; the legal, social and cultural ramifications are nearly incalculable  but we now know that teen usage of pot declines in states that legalize for medicinal usage or where they decriminalize possession of small amounts of Marijuana. The point is that just by legalizing pot, 20 and more states could potentially turn around their current economic situations within 2 years. Not only could they do this without a penny from the Federal Government, but the people who gave the permission for the states to have these laws are flipping the proverbial bird at Washington D.C. (I do wonder how many realize that) and, in particular, Congress as a whole.
In sum, what Washington and Colorado did by legalizing Marijuana was force the broader issue of states rights-the same rights Obama tried to trample with Obamacare, but failed when the Supreme Court caught on (yes, it "passed", but it can't be implemented without being refunded). This battle won't go away anytime soon-unless there is going to be a sudden awakening and realization within our government that the people are awakening to what "states rights" means...Needless to say, I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. 

No comments: