Saturday, May 2, 2009

And the Lions Draft...2 Offensive players in the first round!???

It's been a week since the Lions draft QB Matthew Stafford (#1, rd 1); TE Brandon Pettigrew (#@20, rd 1) and some safely with the last name of Delmas out of Western Michigan University with the first pick of round 2, and even though my anger has subsided somewhat, I still find myself scratching my head over their entire draft. According to their new coach and GM, they said they weren't going to draft on need, but be looking to draft talent. But, I have to ask: what good is talent if you don't have a system in place for which it fits into? It seems to me that Schwartz and Mayhew really have no clue what they are doing at this point, and that is sad, because I really happen to have liked the Schwartz hiring-at first anyways. Now, I'm not so sure. For one, BOTH of the Lions 2 first round picks had their pathetic owners imprint all over them; 2. They had much MUCH greater "needs" which they could have addressed with their 2nd pick of that first round (like Offensive and defensive lines) and yet they take a Tight End. Unreal! At first, I was so pissed off that they had drafted this way that I was very out spoken about having NO interest at all in watching or following the Lions this year-they are going to be pathetic again anyways so why bother. But, the more that I have thought about it, the more interesting they have become to me-if for no other reason than to be the proverbial "circus freak side show" within the NFL-and now I find myself unable to not look every single day for news on how these new draft picks are doing as they begin mini camps and practice sessions in Detriot...Ah well, I suppose such is my fate as the Lions are concerned, it's just a good thing that since I've moved to Florida I have become a fan of the New England Patriots much more so than the Detroit Lions. I only wish I could "shake the disease" (as one of my favorite bands used to sing) of being a Lions fan.

No comments: