Thursday, October 16, 2008

Baseball Playoffs-Go Rays!!!

Years ago I was a diehard fan of Baseball. I grew up watching the Detriot Tigers who, at that time, were the team to beat in Baseball. But when the 90's came along and brought with it 2 strikes motivated by obvious greed on the part of the players themselves, I lost all respect and interest in the sport I so loved in my youth...It wouldn't be until the Florida Marlins won their 2nd championship in 2002 that I started following baseball in any way again. Though I'm still not much a fan of the sport because of the greed that the players have displayed in their strikes over the last 15 years, I do enjoy the playoffs and this year what a great story we have in the Tampa Bay Rays. Formerly called the "Devil" Rays, this years Rays team is the epitome of why sports fans are sports fans. They went from last place in their divsion last year, to first this year and have shown the poise and patience of a team much more experienced than they are. And what about that Evan Longoria? Talk about a star in the making!!! The guy is a rookie and yet, watching him play, you would think he is a 10 year veteran who has been in this position so many times in the past that is like that old familiar "blanky" he cuddled up with as a child. In a word his performance this post season is WOW! Needless to say, I'm rooting the Rays on this year. Come on, who shouldn't be rooting this team on right now? After all, doesn't everone love to root for the underdog?

No comments: