Monday, September 22, 2008

The pathetic Detroit Lions

Ok, I have to admit-I am a Detroit Lions fan. Yeah, I know, it takes a LOT of balls to admit it, but at least I can. At any rate, I have to do a little venting about them...I am effing sick and tired of all the losing. It's not just the losing, but the ways in which they manage to lose. Whether it's just getting out manned by the 49ers like they did this past weekend, or spotting a team 21 points only to come back, take the lead and then have their pathetic excuse for a QB toss 3 pick sixes. It makes me sick. Just to clarify I don't blame Matt Millen one bit. No, the fault for this sick excuse for a sports organization lies solely and completely with Bill Ford Sr. The sad state that the Lions are in is no ones fault but his own. You need look no further than the sorry state that his automobile company is in. Ford Motor Co. is pretty much days-if not hours-away from bankruptcy. But, if you need more proof than that, just look at the Lions record while he has been their owner for the last 40 something years: one playoff victory and the teams only winning seasons coming during the 90's thanks entirely to Barry Sanders-the greastest running back to ever play the game.
Barry singlehanded carried the Li-downs into the playoffs for 9 of his 10 seasons with the team. And when he realized he was never going to win jack shit as a memeber of the Lions and he couldn't be traded before his body gave out on him he took the only option left to him-he retired. Good for him I say. At least he left the game with his physicality still intact. At any rate, I digress...So long as Ford Sr. owns the Li-downs the team will forever be the regular laughing stock of the NFL. My only hope is that one day the league wakes up to the realization that one of its oldest franchises is pathetic because its owner is and that they force him to sell the team to someone who will make them a winner. I just hope that this happens while I am still alive so that I can witness their rebirth into, at the very least, a respectable and competitive team again.

No comments: