Monday, August 11, 2008

The PGA Championship: Memories of the South Course at Oakland Hills

I consider myself lucky enough to have caddied for 9 seasons at Oakland Hills Country Club, the home of last weeks PGA Championship, so when that event was held there this year it was with great excitement that I was able to watch my favorite (and the hardest as myself and many see it it) golf course in the world humble the world's best golfers for 4 days. To be fair, the South Course at Oakland Hills is not an easy course by any means-even when set up for the membership. Its tight fairways, huge undulating greens with small landing areas and hundreds of bunkers are enough to challenge the most mentally tough of golfers-as proven by their scores last week. For me, it was simply nice to see my old caddy stomping grounds, grandly displayed for all the world to enjoy. It's rich history and knack for producing spectular finishes were only added to by Padrig Harrington's win as he needed to make what I knew to be a tough 15 footer for par on the 18th hole to secure his 3 major championship in his last 6 tries. Seeing the South Course on TV brought back many memories-like the time I caddied for Honda (yes the Honda, the one who founded the car company) and played a role in-at that time-was the largest parts deal between an American and foreign automobile company, and the time that I caddied for a scratch golfer who had never played the course before and thought he could break 80 in his first attempt, which was silly given that he earned his handicap playing public courses. After telling him his target should be breaking 90, he politely asked to "just carry my bag" and let him play his game. Well, after he 5 putted the 9th green for a 48 on the front 9, he finally was willing to listen to me, and, thinks to my advice and tips, shot a 41 on the back and managed to squeak in under 90. Those are just 2 of the many memories that the South Courses fabled grounds gave me in the almost 1000 rounds I caddied there. Watching it on TV almost made me miss where I grew, almost. Anyways, this year's PGA left me with more memories of the South Course. Like watching Sergio Garcia collapse in another major and a little known big hitter by the name of J.B. Holmes take the 54 lead into Sunday, only to watch "The Monster" rear its ugly head and humble him. Ahhh, the memories...

No comments: